http://www.thedailydover.jdover.com

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Gettin' Crafty!

Ever since Mason could crawl, he proved something very important...he's a boy. He's not a snuggler, he wants to wrestle, roll, run, throw, catch, climb, and soar. I don't know if it's my personality, or the sheer fact that I am a girl, but those things wear me out! Even before we had Mason, Bailey would come to me for snuggles, and take all of her toys to Dover. Dover does the "play thing" so well, and for hours! But if I attempt 'playing' with him for even 10 minutes, I get worn out! So much so, that when daddy gets home, Mason has his official 'boy playtime'. The rest of the day, we bond in other ways, but none so big as the very favored playtime. As he gets older, the playing is almost impossible for me, especially now that I am pregnant. Now, I am not the playing type. Simple. However, I do believe that if you recognize your son "feels loved" through play, then he may have a love language that is quality-time or acts-of-service. In this case, I have no excuse, I need to find a way to communicate this love to my son. So, I began thinking of other ways I could spend time with Mason, keep his attention, bond, and simply show him that I care enough about him to not only love him the way I need to, but to love him the way he wants to be loved! All that to say..crafts. I bought some simple craft supplies (less than $10) to try this out. 15-30 minutes out of my morning is spent simply crafting with Mason. He loves it! We have made puppets, pumpkins, and ghosts. And we always end with coloring on paper with his favorite..stickers! I do enjoy this so much-spending one on one time with Mason, and making some great keepsakes! I posted this idea, because I thought that maybe some other moms of boys struggled with this same thing? I posted a picture of some of our halloween crafts/decorations. I'm sure there will be much better crafts to come!

I do want to post that I am not concerned about wether Mason knows I love him. He and I have a very special relationship. But I honestly believe that as your children get older, you have to really try and understand them and understand the way that they are made. It's only going to benefit he and I as we figure out this path together. I hear the path gets kinda crazy in the teen years, so I want to be prepared!

No comments: